Secretary Vikas Bharti Bishunpur, Gumla
Sri Ashok Bhagat is an eminent Social worker and founder secretary of Vikas Bharti Bishunpur, a voluntary social organization of National repute. He established Vikas Bharti Bishunpur (a NGO) in 1983 for national integration to ensure holistic development of tribals of remote villages. He started to live with the community in Bishunpur, Distt.- Gumla and changed his name from Ashok Rai to Ashok Bhagat, now popularly known as ‘Baba’. During last 33 years he has done extra-ordinary and astonishing work in bringing transformation amongst the tribal and downtrodden people. He strived hard to reduce exploitation of Tribals by Jamindari system, Conservation of forest resources, protection and advancement of art & culture and other burning issues related to tribal communities.
His Ideology and Contribution
- He did pioneering work towards the Tribal Development.
- He choose to serve the people standing on the last rung of the society in Rural areas (Tribals specially Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs)).
- He believes and works on the principle ‘Go to the people, live with them, learn from them and do work according to their need and demand’. So, he finally settled down in 1982 at Chingri village of Bishunpur block, Gumla, Jharkhand, a village comprising mainly of tribals and started his work according to their need.
- He developed the model for the development of tribals of the rural areas that covers Health, Hygiene, Education, Agriculture, Income generation, Conservation of forest resources, Rural Technology and Social conscience a model that is Economically viable, locally acceptable and ecologically suitable, sustainable and applicable. The basis of the model is “Total transformation through total development with people’s initiative and participation”.
Born : 25th July, 1951
Residence : Bishunpur, Distt.- Gumla, Jharkhand
Commonly known as : “BABA”
Known for : Encouraging movements at grassroot level for community empowerment and tribal development integrated model “Vikas Bharti Bishunpur”
Nationality : Indian
Religion : Hindu
Parents : Mother – Late Jamvanti Devi
Father – Sri Ram Murat Rai
Activity area : Jharkhand (for past 34 year)
Contact no. : 9431118213, 0651-2545836
Mail ID : firstname.lastname@example.org (Personal)
M.A. (Political Science) from Gorakhpur University in 1974
L.L.B. from Gorakhpur University in 1970;
B.Sc. from Gorakhpur University in 1970.
R.S.S. Volunteer (Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad) :Sri Ashok Bhagat became inspired by National Ideology of R.S.S. (Rashtriya Swayam Sewak Sangh) and joined Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad in U.P. He started his public career as a youth activist in Uttar Pradesh in 1972. He initiated Youth movements in Allahabad, Lucknow, Gorakhpur and Varanasi for the sake of Nation building. He dedicated his services for the benefit of Youth and rural construction by joining Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad as State Organising Secretary of UP. He was inspired by Late Jai Prakash Narayan and actively involved with J.P. movement (1974-75). He was jailed for one year during emergency for his fight for democracy. He was associated with 'Sri Aurobindo Navnirman Prakalp' in Gorakhpur for reconstruction of villages during the year 1978-1982.
- Secretary Vikas Bharti Bishunpur, Gumla
- Chairman, Voluntary Health Association of Jharkhand- Affiliated to Voluntary Health Association of INDIA
- Chairman, Scientific Advisory Committee, Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Gumla
- Member, Technical Advisory Group, National Rural Health Mission, Jharkhand
- Member Tribal Welfare Society, Jharkhand
- Member Jharkhand State Development Council.
- Member of Project Evaluation and Monitoring Committee of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India.
- Member, State Development Council, Jharkhand
- Expert in the field of Rural Development in Khadi and Village Industries commission (KVIC) under Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME)
- Member, Monitoring Committee of Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojna
- Member from Jharkhand in the expert committee for Mid day Meals of M.H.R.D., Government of India.